What will inspire you to create today?

Saturday, December 10, 2011

January block

Quilting Under the Rainbow January Block









January is my month and I have been working away to get my fabric sent out.

I picked out some fabric for the corners of my block from Spoonflower Fabrics.  I am not wanting to be stingy with the fabric because I want to make sure everyone has enough to finish their block; however the fabric was outrageously expensive so I just might have to be so I do not have to buy more to complete the top!

I am using a tutorial from this summer's quilt series: Summer Sampler Series.  As I am putting together my test block I am finding that the fabric the tutorial calls for is really an overestimate.  So I am trying to figure out what I really do need to send out to my fellow bee members.  I am also making a few changes instead of using white for the middle circle I am using solid colors from the color wheel.  I hope it turns out.  Off to sew and test!



Step 1:  If you are one of the Quilting Under the Rainbow Bee members I will be sending out the templates.  If not please go to the tutorial.  You will need to have a total of 4 of each template.  Once you have your copies made, it is a good idea to label each template according to how you are going to lay out your fabric  I started with red at the top.  I want the quilt to have a scrappy look so I do not mind if you decide to put a different color at the top. 

Step 2:  Cut out the fabric.  You will need to cut the fabric up according to the directions below.  You will also need to pull 8 4X4 pieces from your stash that go with the solids I am sending out.  If you are using the tutorial, it gives different fabric requirements.   If you are in the Bee please use my directions so you will have enough fabric.  I found the 5X5 pieces to be too long in one direction and too short in the other.  


Fabric requirements:  

I will send:

4 - 5.5inch X 4inch pieces  This is the dot fabric I am sending out.  I sent it in a 5.5inch strip.  You will need to cut it into 4 inch sections.  
16 - 4X4 pieces of white These will be the triangles on the sides of each of the fabrics you will choose from your stash.
8 - 4X4 pieces These are the solid colors I sent.  I alraeady cut these for you!

From your stash:

8 4X4 pieces that go with the solids I send.   I love modern fabric.  I also want this to be scrappy so really I would love to see your personality in these pieces.  

Step 3: Follow steps 2 to the end of this tutorial.  Please press seams open when possible!

Thanks Kate for such a great tutorial!  Happy sewing!

My first test block did not come out to 12.5 inches.  I am not too worried about it but I am going to make a second to see if it goes better!  I will probably pick it and see if I can fix where it did not line up!


1 comment: